- Help the bride find the perfect venue, for both the ceremony and reception.
- Help the bride decide on invitations, decorations, and favors. Give your honest opinion, but remember that what the bride wants matters most.
- Make sure the bridesmaids are doing what they are supposed to be doing; it is the MOH’s job to lead the bridesmaids.
- Attend all fittings of the bride and bridesmaid's dresses and make sure all alterations are on track with the schedule.
- If invited, go with the bride to register for wedding gifts and be sure all attending guests know where to go to buy the gifts.
- Help the bride with the seating arrangements. This is often very stressful, but can be made easier by drawing out and mapping all of the tables.
- As the MOH it is your duty to plan, host, and often times finance the Bridal Shower and Bachelorette Party.
- Keep a record of all gifts from the parties, showers, and wedding day.
- Attend all bridal affairs with the bride including cake and catering tasting.
- Create a MOH checklist to bring with you on the wedding day.
- Make sure the bride arrives to the venue on time and has everything on the checklist you previously prepared.
- Check on the reception room to ensure everything has been set up properly.
- Assist the bride with all aspects of getting ready. Make sure the veil and train are neat and not at risk of being tripped over.
- Make sure everyone has the correct bouquets.
- Keep the groom’s ring until he and the bride exchange rings.
- Hold the bride’s bouquet during the ceremony.
- Be a witness in signing the marriage license.
- Toast the couple after the bestman.
- Dance with the bestman during the formal first dance.
- Show guests where to sit, direct them to restrooms, make sure the gifts are safe and organized, and encourage guests to sign the guestbook.
- Help the bride change for her honeymoon and make sure her dress goes somewhere safe.
- No matter what happens be sure to remain calm and be the bride’s emotional rock
Be the Best Maid of Honor
With spring approaching, wedding season is also drawing near, which means many will be serving as a maid of honor. But other than being an emotional lifeboat and holding a bouquet, what exactly does this mean? As the maid/matron of honor it is your main priority to keep the bride happy and stress-free. Along with helping the bride out with whatever she needs, it is also your responsibility to guide the bridesmaids and make sure they are staying productive. Above all, remember it is your job to keep a smile on the bride’s face and make sure the wedding is a success. Be the ultimate maid of honor by following these steps!