- -Pick a great Venue-Ideally one with a dance floor and a great space for dining, A huge bonus if it has some space outdoors for outdoor games.
- -Find an amazing, hip, energetic DJ that gets your crowd! This is key!
- -Catering- Buffet style is best for a large crowd, be sure to include healthy items for moms and simple food for the boys. Separate the kid food from the adult food on separate tables. Burgers, fries, fruit platters, all work well for the kids, and have a variety of healthy choices for moms on a separate table. Of course, don't forget the dessert! Chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate fountains, tarts, cupcakes and ice cream are all great treats
- -Schedule of activities & entertainment- Have a plan with many options so there are plenty of choices for all ages. With a room full of boys, planning a good solid schedule is helpful to create some structure. Boys love competition, team games and contests are sure to be a hit.
- -Photo Booth- This is fun for everyone and it's makes for great memorabilia! Mom's and son's will have a blast dressing up and taking pics
- -Video Game Station- Let's face it..boys love video games. It's a perfect way to keep them occupied and give the mom's a breather to catch up with each other, definitely limit it and have other options so they aren't glued to them all night, it's a good idea to start the night with this as people are arriving, then bring in the more interactive activities once all of the guests have arrived.
- -Crafts Table- When dealing with all ages, crafts are a great activity to keep boys busy and create something to cherish at home for mom. It's nice to have this set up ahead of time for people to come and go as they please. For a large crowd, it's best to have an attendant so you don't rely on moms to have to monitor it. After all, they should be enjoying their special night. What a nice surprise to have their son give this new treasure to them at the event? Choose age appropriate crafts for your crowd, Maybe you could go with silly peel and stick sunglasses decorating, or fun classy mother son crafts like these pandas made from shells, or more simple decoration that will look elegant at the party and in the house.
- Games that include both mom and son- Keep it nice but casual. Active games are best! Let those boys burn off their energy! Be sure mom's know not to wear their evening gowns and heels. Don't be afraid to incorporate competitions, sports games, relay races, as well as traditional dancing and dance contests!
Throwing a Mother & Son Dance
We've all heard of the traditional Father/ Daughter Dance, right? But what about the Mother/Son Dance? Events that feature mother and son are highly overlooked. Creating one on one time with your child is challenge when you're a busy parent, yet It's important to spend quality time together. What better way for a mom to spend time with her son than a Mother/ Son Dance?
Now, one might say, "But it's much easier to take little girls to a dance than little boys!" And rightly so. Dressing up for a dance with mom may not be their scene. This is where the brilliant planning comes into play. Boys have different taste! So why not cater to that taste? You can give the moms a chance to relax and bond with their sons without requiring that everyone dress to the nines and break out the ballroom dance moves.
Tips & Tricks for Success-
First, you really must find a great venue. Whether you plan to invite a large group of moms or a simple gathering of close friends having the proper space is super important. Country clubs, dance venues, even private residences with large open spaces are best for this kind of event, especially if you are involving a group of boys of varying age ranges. Boys can be tricky. They can be extra competitive, they need space to run
around, and they can be sensitive to events which may make them feel un-cool, and let's face it Mother's Day activities can feel a bit, well...girly. You've got to have a variety of activities to appeal to both mom and son.
For a large group be sure to have a great DJ. This really is second only to finding the proper venue as the DJ will make or break your event. The DJ sets the tone for the whole event. We've all seen that totally lame, out of touch DJ who tries to get people involved and instead ends up alienating the guests and making them feel ridiculous, and leaving them secretly wishing he would just stop talking. But seriously, in any city, and especially in NYC, LA and San Fran, there are some amazing DJ's out there who provide much more than cheesy antics, background music and pop slow dance songs. Shop around with your local party planner and make sure the DJ you pick gets your crowd.
We recently worked with an amazing, top notch DJ! He came with a team- high energy dancers, games leaders, props and prizes. It was seamless. The guests slowly trickled in. The music he picked got them so excited, some of the boys busted out in their own break dance contests before any other entertainment was revealed. Others played on the video game station, or dove into the photo-booth station and crafts table activities until they sized up whether participating on the dance floor was going to be fun or not.
Meanwhile, the mom's got to relax, mingle and enjoy a cocktail on the couches near a fireplace. The DJ and his dancers functioned as MC's for the whole event, once the dancers arrived, the fun really began. The Hula Hoops were busted out and suddenly the competitions began for the boys. The Cha Cha Slide and YMCA got everyone on the dance floor!
Contests, games, musical chairs, limbo contests, tug of war, team sack races, hula hoop contests (which the boys were surprisingly excited about) were all a HUGE hit. And of course, Mom's got a turn in all the games too! In fact, the mom's musical chairs contest was quite a sight to behold. The DJ had all the boys so excited about it they were surrounding the dance floor cheering on their mom. And of course the moms got some fabulous prizes.
Don't forget about prizes and goodie bags! Moms can go home with a bottle of champagne, a gift basket, favorite make up, spa gift certificates or a bouquet of flowers. Boys can go home with age appropriate goodie bags and prizes as well. A well planned, fun-filled Mother/ Son is an amazing way to celebrate Mother's Day weekend in style.